Monday, January 2, 2012

What's on the Tray? FINALLY back to school after move & holidays!

Super Tot is 35 months old.

I can't believe we are FINALLY starting school back up.  It seems like it has been forever since my last post, and things are finally settling down.  As mentioned in a previous post, my family relocated to a new city the week of Thanksgiving.  That was a crazy time to be moving, but we took it in stride and made the best of it.  After prayerful consideration, we decided to go ahead and take the holidays off to get settled into our new home and to focus on Christ and loving others throughout the Advent season.  It was such a blessing, but boy am I ready to get back into a normal school routine!

Because of the time we've taken off, I decided to do a couple weeks of review prior to getting back into our 'Letter of the Week' structure.  We will pick up with the letter "Gg" in a few weeks, but for now, here is what we've got on the trays for this week:

*Mystery Item*
Stick hand into bag and identify object using only sense of touch.
I will have the box of items out of sight and will place one item at a time into the bag.  Super Tot will place his hand in the bag, and I will cinch it closed while he feels the item and attempts to identify it by touch.
~sensory & language skills~

*Letter Match*
Place each foam letter onto the correct outline.
~matching & letter recognition~

*Playable Art Ball*
Use imagination and creativity to manipulate the Playable Art Ball into various sculptures.
Super Tot received this fun item for Christmas.  It is a blast for all ages (I must confess to spending a lot of time fidgeting with it myself).  It was a great gift!  You can read more about it, watch a demonstration video, and purchase it here.  
~creativity, art, fine motor, critical thinking~

*Tangrams*
Use foam tangram shapes to create the images on each card.
I expect that Super Tot will need some assistance with this, but he is really good at his Melissa & Doug Beginner Pattern Blocks, so I thought we could give it a shot.  This is a Lauri set that I absolutely love.
~critical thinking~

*Banana Slicing*
Peel banana, then use knife to cut into slices.  Eat for snack!
~fine motor~

*Alphabet Sticker Match*
Place each gold foil alphabet sticker onto a matching letter on the blue sheet.
My mom gave me many sheets of gold seal stickers awhile back.  I thought this would be an easy review activity to use some of them for.
~fine motor, letter matching and recognition~

*What Does Not Belong?*
Use marker to circle the item that does NOT belong in each row.
Printable available below the photo.
~fine motor, logic~

*Food Group Sorting*
Sort the food into the 4 main food groups.
~health & nutrition~

*Mr. Potato Head Building*
Using the photos provided, build Potato Heads to match the pictures.
~matching, fine motor, logic~

Linking up to:

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your amazing blog! I am glad you are back and your move went well. I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog! You have such great ideas and I love how hands on they are. I have a little 22 month old who I am starting to do a little bit of tot school with and your site is my favorite for manipulative activity ideas since I have found little boys like to do that more than worksheet activities. I have found it hard to find a lot of hands on activities on any one site so I am so thankful for yours, it is loaded with great activities. So thank you so much, you are very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love it when your blog pops up in my google reader! You have such great ideas. I just started a new linky party to showcase tot trays and hope you will come over!

    http://his4homeschooling.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-on-tray-wednesday-linky-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mystery Item looks really fun!

    Brittney
    www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too cool! Thank you for again sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow there are some really great activities here, i am very impressed by the originality. i love the Mr potato head basket

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful time during your break! It's wonderful to see you back at Montessori Monday! I always love your creative and attractive activity trays. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great ideas! I'm a new follower & can't wait to have a look around!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinteresting-party-week-twenty-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to use the banana idea tomorrow I think. We have the same exact silverware!

    ReplyDelete

Due to recent spam activity, I have turned word verification OFF and comment moderation ON.